- Tutor: Riley Diffenderfer, Pravin Wilkins, Sara Berliner, Miriam Wertheimer
- Grades: (rising) 9 – 12+
- Type: Group (TBC) and independent options available
Sitting down with a book and a cup of coffee or tea is one of life’s often-forgotten pleasures. Dig through challenging texts, both for school and for leisure. Learn that every text is doing something, whether showing, asking, or exploring. Move beyond the narrative and explore figurative and literary elements of works. Practice your critical reading skills in a low-pressure, discussion-seminar style class where there are no wrong answers, just new paths to explore.
Free choice book options guided by the tutor; school choice book options will be available once Pittsburgh area schools release summer reading lists.
- Critical reading & analysis
- Discussion skills & self-expression
- Creative thinking
- Reading for learning
- Time management
- *Collaboration (in group classes)
- Prerequisite: Students must complete a reading interest survey two weeks prior to the course and complete Book #1.
- Week 1: Discuss the text; practice critical analysis.
- Week 2: Create a project proposal and timeline; begin working on the project draft.
- Week 3: Check-in date #1 – Reading deadline 1; project phase 1 check in; draw literary connections.
- Week 4: Check-in date #2 – Reading deadline 2; project phase 2 check in; develop literary connections.
- Week 5: Check-in date #3 – Reading deadline 3; project phase 3 check in; deepen literary connections.
- Week 6: Check-in date #6 – Final reading deadline and project presentation.
Costs and Session Details:
- Six sessions per course; please inquire for extended courses.
- Supplemental materials may be required for certain projects. Please inquire for further details.
- NEW STUDENT DISCOUNT: Save 2.5% each on each Creative Course registered for and paid for in full before June 17.
- DOUBLE COURSE BONUS: (All Students Eligible) Pay in full for TWO CREATIVE COURSES before June 17 to receive a 5% discount on your total package!
- *No more than two discounts can be applied to a course. Discounts do not apply to full-year “Classic Courses”. Please inquire for details.
Fill out Contact Us and include the Summer Sparks title “High School Book Club” in the parent/student goals to receive a personalized quote and further information.