College Essay Workshop
- Tutor: Pravin Wilkins, Associate Director of College Counseling
- Grades: (rising) 12
- Type: Group
When was the last time that you wrote a story? As you embark on your college journey, you’ll be crafting your story to share with admissions officers far and wide. Perfect your piece with Associate Director of College Counseling and professional writer Pravin Wilkins! In this workshop-style experience, you’ll craft your personal statement from brainstorm to final copy. Learn about the importance of engaging your audience, transitioning between ideas, and overcoming challenges – like grammar, punctuation, and writer’s block. In this course, you’ll learn how to unleash your inner author. Craft a piece that shows off you and your challenges, as you explore an authentic, personal topic. Work on creatively expressing your purpose, voice, and tone. Learn how to use grammar to enhance your writing style with flair. Build writing skills and prepare to polish your final draft.
Premium Option: Add a one-on-one debrief session with Pravin to identify essay polishing needs and the next steps for your college essay writing journey.
- Creative writing
- Grammar, conventions, tone, and style
- Improving self-expression through writing
- Building confidence in writing through creativity
- Time management
- Prerequisite: I can identify my interests in a pre-workshop survey, including choice of Common App or Coalition App essay.
- Week 1: “Getting Started”
- I can develop an understanding of the college essay form, choose my main topic, and begin writing my essay.
- Week 2: “Mapping the Journey”
- I can carefully map out the essay’s body paragraphs and execute the first “transition”.
- Week 3: “Filling it in”
- I can develop a full rough draft applying the concepts from the Workshop.
- Week 4: “Revising, Restructuring, Polishing”
- I can optimize the organization of the essay at paragraph and sentence level, focusing on concision and clarity.
- Week 5: One-on-One Debrief (optional)
- I can execute the suggestions provided to me, including grammar/syntax polishing and supplemental essay completion, in my deep-dive debrief session.
Costs and Session Details:
- Four sessions per course; premium package includes an additional one-on-one debrief session.
- Week of June 1, June 15, July 1, or July 15 session sign up available.
- All sessions are two hours.
- The course includes a pre-requisite assignment. Details will be sent prior to course start date.
- *No more than two discounts can be applied to a course. Discounts do not apply to full-year “Classic Courses”. Please inquire for details.
- PREMIUM PACKAGE: Pay in full by May 29, and receive 5% off of your debrief session!
- Fill out the course interest inquiry form to receive a personalized quote and further information.