- Tutor: Evan Adcock, KEFTutoring team match assistance
- Grades: (rising) 1-5
- Type: Group or individual
Build critical thinking skills and learn to think a few steps ahead! This course is perfect for beginners and young players of all levels. You will spend four sessions learning the history of chess, then diving into three basic theory sessions (opening, developing the game, and checkmate). Test out your skills by practicing in “beat the tutor” matches, or jump into our budding chess club.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- History of Chess, including a brief look at game variations across the world
- Strategy and Theory, including how to think critically about your choices and how to anticipate your opponent’s moves
- Chess Annotation, including how to record your game as you play and how to review the game move-by-move for later analysis
- Competition and Sportsmanship, including actual match-play where you remain courteous, win or lose
- Critical thinking & analysis
- Reflection/ Skill development
- Stress & Time management (in competitive timed matches)
- Competition and sportsmanship
- Prerequisite: Students share prior chess experience with firstname.lastname@example.org one week prior to the start of the course.
- Week 1: Learn about the history of chess, review some important matches, and identify key terms that you’ll use as you play.
- Week 2: Skills practice #1: Opening
- Week 3: Skills practice #2: Developing the game
- Week 4: Skills practice #3: Checkmate
Additional practice matches may be organized by the tutor and course participants!
Costs and Session Details:
- Four sessions per course; please inquire for extended courses.
- Supplemental materials may be required for certain projects. Please inquire for further details.
- NEW STUDENT DISCOUNT: Save 5% each on each Creative Course registered for and paid for in full before Monday, May 29.
- DOUBLE COURSE BONUS: (All Students) Pay in full for two courses before May 29 for TWO Creative Courses to receive a 10% discount on your total package!
- *No more than two discounts can be applied to a course. Discounts do not apply to full-year “Classic Courses”. Please inquire for details.
Group Courses Pilot
- Sign up for our Group Courses Option and select week of June 1, June 15, July 1, or July 15
- All students participating in a Group Course Pilot will receive a 5% discount on the course. Exclusions apply. Please inquire for details.
Fill out the course interest inquiry form to receive a personalized quote and further information.